Another successful closet makeover! This “After” picture is taken after just 2 1/2 hours of work. My client is a very creative person and has a wardrobe full of wonderful, fun pieces. Now she can find her clothes quickly and put together outfits easily, starting her day off on the right foot!
The way to get this result yourself is to purge!!! I first took out items she was no longer wearing or that were stained or needed repair. I also took out off-season clothing to be stored somewhere else in the house like under a bed or in a spare room. Once a closet is purged you are left with just the items that are worn on a regular basis, or semi-regular basis.
Don’t forget to purge all non-clothing items too. No kids clothing, no winter coats or boots, no miscellaneous items if you can help it. Take out anyone else’s clothing and store it in it’s place. Try to keep your closet just for your clothing, shoes, and accessories.
Once you purge then you have space to organize. You can see from the picture that jackets, shoes, shirts and sweaters are all grouped together beautifully and are easy to retrieve. The “Before” picture is now just a thing of the past.
Your turn next! -Meredith
A clean closet! A dream for so many. Well, it can be a reality! And in as little as 2 hours!
Getting dressed should be easy and enjoyable. But reality for many of us is very different. Is your closet like this “After” picture OR like the below “Before” picture?
None of us seem to have the time to get caught up on life’s to-do list, let alone or organize our closets! That is where I come in!
A client called me last week and said she wanted to have me organize her husbands’ closet as a surprise for him. I was very excited to accept the challenge. I am happy to say that in just 2 short hours his closet went from messy and stressful to organized and beautiful!
After seeing the below “Before” picture, it should come as no surprise that the lucky husband was thrilled! He said being able to see all of his clothing and accessories organized and easily accessible has already changed his daily routine for the better.
The clients are both happy and I gave them a few suggestions on how to utilize the space even better. I suggested they buy new, slim, felt hangers, which have rounded edges so they won’t leave any bumps in the shoulders of the shirts. Also, having specialized hooks for ties, belts and baseball caps will finish off the space perfectly. Allowing the client to see and access every accessory easily, and being able to place them back into their spots makes maintenance a breeze!
Leave me a comment below if you are ready to transform your closet! -Meredith
Turtleneck season is over! Time to get all of your winter clothing out of your closet and into storage. A closet clean-out is in order. Take some time this week to bring in your spring and summer clothing. When your closet is organized and it’s easy to find the right clothing your day will start off beautifully!
Here are some quick tips to get you started:
- Remove all heavy weight clothing from your closet.
- Inspect each item, looking for stains, tears, hems that are pulled. Take any items needing attention to the dry cleaner or seamstress before storing. You want to store clean, fresh clothing.
- Store off-season clothing in a guest room closet or in garbage bags or storage bins. If you don’t have storage bins consider sliding bins or bags of clothing under your bed until you need them again. Some bins are shaped just to fit under beds.
- Inspect all spring and summer clothing for stains, tears, hems that need mending. Launder all the clothing so your closet is full of clean clothes.
- Before moving in your clothes, consider giving your closet a good cleaning as well. Vacuum and dust all the corners and even your shoes! they can become dusty if not worn often.
- Consider investing in the felt hangers that are all the rage today. You can find them at TJMaxx and Marshalls and any large home retailer like Bed Bath & Beyond. They hold clothing well so that it won’t slip and they are slim, allowing you to fit the most clothing in without hangers adding bulk. They also come in fun colors which makes hanging your clothing a bit more fun.
- Lastly, move in the newly laundered, pressed, tailored and dry cleaned wardrobe into your clean closet and enjoy!
If you don’t have time or find yourself stressed out, consider hiring a me to come and do it with you or for you! As we are putting your clothing back into your closet we can even coordinate your clothing in new ways to make your wardrobe seem new! -Meredith